Be sure to bring the following when you pre-register for school.
- Proof of your child’s age (child’s birth certificate, passport, or record of baptism), Your child’s immunization records (if available),
- Your child’s latest report card/transcript (if available), and
- Two (2) of the documents below verifying proof of address:
- Lease agreement, deed, mortgage statement for the residence;
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (such as National Grid or Con Edison) must be dated within the past 60 days;
- A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days;
- Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement, the Human Resources Administration, or the Administration for Children Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor, indicating the resident’s name and address must be dated within the past 60 days;
- A current property tax bill for the residence;
- A water bill for the residence must be dated within the past 90 days;
- Rent receipt which includes the address of residence must be dated within the past 60 days;
- State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence;
- Income tax form for the last calendar year;
- Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit, which has not expired;
- Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days, such as a paystub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes, or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate) must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days;
- Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
- Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (such as neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
- Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers; documents must have been issued within the past 60 days and include name of student and address of residence.
Note for Students in Temporary Housing:
Students in temporary housing, as defined by McKinney-Vento, are not required to submit documentation (including address, proof of date of birth, and immunization) in order to enroll. Schools must provisionally pre-register the student and then work with the students in temporary housing DOE contact to obtain documentation.